If you have ever felt nervous, scared, or even terrified of going to the dentist, you are not alone. In fact, an estimated 9%-15% of Americans, have some form of dental anxiety and phobia, which prevents them from having a positive experience.
Having a phobia can also prevent them from getting needed dental treatment for their oral health, and are at increased risk for gum disease and tooth loss. Dental anxiety is common, since many people have some fear when going to the dentist, but dental phobia can be so severe, a patient will do just about anything to avoid it.
Symptoms to watch out for are:
– Thoughts of dental visits that make you feel physically ill
– Extreme nervousness when waiting for treatment
– Intense thoughts of panic that seem to overwhelm you and make it hard to breathe when objects are in your mouth
– An intense need to cry when thinking about going to the dentist
– Having a hard time sleeping the night before your appointment and waking up exhausted, yet, restless
There may be triggers for some people. A bad past experience, pain, feelings of helplessness and loss of control, embarrassment, or unknown expectations for procedures. The good news is that dental phobia can be treated, and should be taken care of as soon as possible, so the phobia doesn’t get worse.
If you or a loved one suffers from dental phobia in Broomfield, Colorado, and surrounding areas, please contact Nickel Street Dental PC DBA Broomfield Dental. Our dental team can ensure you are treated with the best dental care. Call us at 303-953-2520 today for an appointment with Dr. Sefcik, Dr. Andrews and Dr. Andrews.